The lack of maintenance needed on a concrete driveway is definitely one of its most attractive qualities. Who doesn’t love a material that needs little maintenance, looks beautiful and withstands the test of time? Through all of this, however, almost no surface material will need no maintenance at all, including concrete. As with asphalt, concrete too needs some maintenance to retain its fresh, sophisticated look.
Here are our tips for ensuring your concrete driveway is well maintained:
- Dirt and debris can easily collect on your concrete surface over time. It is best to keep it swept and cleaned regularly to avoid the dirt particles from entering the pores of the concrete.
- Sealing your concrete driveway is another important aspect of keeping it well preserved. A sealant will increase the concrete’s weather resistance, and create a protective barrier from exposure to chemicals, petroleum products and oil and grease stains. It can also make it easier to clean, and bring out the natural beauty of the concrete with a light sheen. Usually, it has to be reapplied every 2 years as the sealant can quickly wear off with regular traffic or exposure to elements.
- Concrete is a material prone to oil stains, which is why you should remove any oils on the surface right after contact. Sealants do stop oils and petroleum products from penetrating the concrete, but care should be taken and the surface cleaned right away.
- Even though it is one of the most durable paving materials, however, care should still be taken when operating on it. Avoid heavy loading trucks or other heavy vehicles from driving over the concrete surface to minimize the formation of cracks.
- Be extra cautious when using DIY concrete sealants from hardware or department stores on your concrete driveway. They all have different uses, different chemicals and different application instructions. If you aren’t sure about how to do this yourself, make sure to contact our professionals at Richmond Blacktop.
In the end, concrete truly us one of the most durable materials in the paving industry. As with any material, however, it still requires the occasional maintenance session and quality preventative measures. It’s a beautiful material that will look sophisticated, modern and contemporary in any space.
If you are looking for concrete installation, repair, or maintenance, Richmond Blacktop can offer top quality service. Do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have, or if you would like a free quote regarding your next project. We have over 40 years of experience and work all cross the Lower Mainland.