Concrete is an incredible material. It has been around for a very long time, and can be used for many different purposes. It is much more than a symbol of the human civilization, because it is, still, a very useful and efficient material for use in construction, paving, buildings, walls and many more. From bridges and skyscrapers, to amazing structures and small buildings, learn a few curious facts about concrete with Richmond Blacktop:
Curious Facts About Concrete
- Concrete has been used for a really long time. The ancient romans were the first to start using it as a building material. Their concrete, however, was different from what we have today.
- One of the reasons that concrete is so popular worldwide is the fact that most the materials that makes it are easily available. The aggregate, usually sand and gravel, makes up for the most part of it, with water also having a big role in the mixture. The last ingredient is cement, the only one that needs a more complex supply chain.
- Cement, by the way, is extremely popular. So popular that over 2 billion tons are produced every year.
- Reinforced concrete is a very, very solid and resistant material. It’s so tough that it’s used to build underwater structures. It’s also very resistant to fire. Structures made of reinforced concrete are usually more solid than steel frame structures.
- Besides the advantages of being super rigid, another reason for the popularity of concrete is the fact that it can be made in any shape. It’s a substance that is poured and cast, so it’s very easy to have it in any shape that is needed.
It is important to note, however, that concrete needs adequate care, just like any other material. Since it’s usually exposed to the weather, it eventually starts showing signs of its age, and may have to be replaced after some time. The good news is that a high quality concrete, installed in a professional and competent manner will last many years. That’s what Richmond Blacktop offers to its customers. We can deal with your paving needs the best way possible. Contact us now and get a free quote!